06 Envoy Bose Stereo Button Replacement - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > General TrailVoy Discussion > Audio and Electronics

Audio and Electronics Discuss car audio, video, navigation, alarms, and other electronics here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:55 PM

2006 GMC Envoy SLT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
06 Envoy Bose Stereo Button Replacement

If I'm removing my faceplate on my radio cluster to replace some worn buttons will I have difficulty getting the radio to recognize the faceplate when I reinstall it?

I've got an 06 Envoy with the Bose 6 disc CD. The paint on several of the buttons on the faceplate have begun to wear off. I've got a used faceplate and my plan is to take off my faceplate, replace the damaged buttons, and reinstall my faceplate. I'm not switching faceplates, just a few buttons. I know that the security feature wouldn't allow me to use another faceplate without being reprogramed. Am I going to run into any problems with the security feature by removing and reinstalling my original faceplate? I had a devil of a time getting the circuit board off the donor faceplate in order to get to the buttons I'm going to replace. Not being an electronics guy, is there anything I need to avoid touching on the circuit board or any parts of it I should be very careful not to damage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 02:33 PM

2007 GMC Envoy Denali
Dark Gray Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
FYI they make a button decal kit. They look ok not bad at all. I had some paint missing on mine as well. I came across them one day on ebay. I know my local dealer carries them to.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:34 PM

2005 BowTie TrailBlazer LT
Olympic White '50U' 4.2L I6 4X4
I've swapped buttons on several radios, but it's always on used radios that are not intended for my truck, so they will already require "programming". I do not know if unplugging the face-plate will effect the security feature,.....

My input here is about "what not to touch": there are 4 screws that hold the circuit board to the face-plate. They are partially hidden from direct view because of a rubber "pad" that's kinda' stuck to the back of the circuit board........ I have to break a few of the little "tabs" that secure that rubber Pad in place, but I ALWAYS try to leave AS MANY of those tabs intact as possible. That pad is intended to protect the back of the circuit board from shorting out and I'm guessing it's position when everything gets re-installed is important. ( if all the 'Tabs' get broken than the 'Pad' will probably not be in the correct position. ) I usually break at least 2 maybe 3 tabs to be able to access all 4 screws.

It's a circuit board and you should always ground yourself before touching a circuit board, but I've 'man-handled' many of them and never had a problem.

These things look SOOoooooo much better with good/clean buttons !

Old 04-18-2019, 03:00 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
You can replace the whole faceplate without any issues. I have done this to a few of these radios without any problems at all, the chip is in the radio itself....not the face.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:06 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silver Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Dorman sells the buttons and nob sets for these units that's what I use and yes they indeed fit the 2002 Bose 6 CD changer also. Unit looks brand new when done. Their application data for these is incorrect, these actually fit all the bose and GM units.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:35 AM

2005 BowTie TrailBlazer LT
Olympic White '50U' 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
You can replace the whole faceplate without any issues. I have done this to a few of these radios without any problems at all, the chip is in the radio itself....not the face.
Thanx for posting this info !

Quote:
Dorman sells the buttons and nob sets for these units that's what I use and yes they indeed fit the 2002 Bose 6 CD changer also

The buttons might fit, but aren't the 02 buttons specific to 02 ?? On the bottom row of some radios the button script / icons are different compared to later head units. ( + no "BAND" button )

Pretty sure 02 = orange colored "INFO" - P-TYPE" - "TRAF" and "P-TYPE: on the lower knob. (maybe just for non-BOSE ?? )

IIRC in 2003 the bottom buttons' script was the same - but white not orange colored, and the BAND button was used.

Pretty sure in 04 the button script changed to "<" - "TYPE" - ">" and the 2 "SEEK" buttons and "H" "M" buttons changed too.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 AM

I know the set that I purchased had all the correct buttons and I believe the dials on the exterior are the modern type with the little ridges on it the little the little ridges on them otherwise everything that was there fit to answer your question the information on the knobs being different when sliding on a 2002 these knobs in fact do fit the unit. I really don't recall the script on them being that major the difference but when you replace all of them the unit basically looks brand new and you won't even notice any difference after you turn it on. For those that have the CD player not working I know where you can get those too brand new just open it up install plug it in boom you're working again.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:10 PM

2006 GMC Envoy SLT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Haven't had a chance to work on this yet--it got warm and everything started growing so trying to play catch up on the yard work.

Is there a trick to getting the volume and tuning knobs/dials off the faceplate? I was able to get them off using a screw driver on my donor faceplate but don't want to scratch up my faceplate when I get time to work on this project. I can get the center index out of these two but the knobs themselves are kind of tricky.

My donor is from an 04 Tahoe and it's got the same button names as my 06 Envoy so I'm good to go there.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:06 PM

If I recall, you have to pull the outer off and the both pop out together, you have to pull hard but no screwdriver was used.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:11 PM

The inner and outer nubs are installed together and they just pop off and then in as a unit not each separately....maybe there is something on youtube...mine at first were a bitch and then I Got them to come off. It's a tension snap fit but they will come off...if your worried the guys at the local car radio shop can pop them for you in like 2 seconds. You pull the outer ring and both come off together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in