A "how to" for removing the ECM/TCM - Page 3 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > Transmission Mods

Transmission Mods Transmission repairs/modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:30 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
I plan on driving my truck to Chris next week sometime. Do I have to do a crank relearn after the new performance mods are installed? With the dealer? Or is this something that he is capable of doing in house? Maybe I should just ask Chris!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2006, 08:42 PM

Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
You do not have to worry about doing a crank relearn if you are driving your vehicle to Chris. All he needs is about 5-1o mins with your truck to plug in to the underdash connector and you'll be tearing up the streets.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:43 PM

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Thank you for clearing this up for me.. All of this computer stuff is new to me, but I am slowly starting to understand what you are all talking about..SLOWLY

Old 05-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
The only time you need a crank relearn is if you send in your cores and they send you a different set of cores. As long as the cores you get tuned are the ones that came with your truck, no relearn is required.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:11 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Gonna bring this thread back from the dead....

To the guys that have gotten a spare set for services runs to the dealer...what did you tell them when you needed a crank relearn? I'm thinking they are going to be like....."why do you need a crank relearn, it's a new truck..."?

Also, I just want to make sure that the mileage is not stored on the ecm or tcm.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:40 PM

I took the dumba** approach at the dealer....I called OnStar, told the operator "hey, I got a check engine light glowing on my dash...what's that mean?" OnStar did a remote vehicle diagnostic, told me what it was (crank variation problem) and the code number: PO315.

Then I got OnStar to direct me to the nearest Chevy dealer, pulled in there, and told the service manager "hey, OnStar told me to get to a dealer quickly...I've got a PO315 error code!".

The service writer looked it up, grabbed his scanner and hooked it up to the underdash plug, followed the scanner prompts, and the light went out.

Took all of 15 minutes...asked what I owed, he said, "forget it". Gave him $20 for lunch, and was on my way.

I got the guy's name before I left, and sent a glowing thanks to GM about this guy via their customer service website. That must have been a good idea, because the service writer sent ME a thanks e-mail a couple of days later.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:51 PM

Two additional comments:

I've had MUCH better luck with Chevy dealers in small towns for things like this. Dealers in larger cities are all about volume, and they rarely want to fiddle with little things that don't make them a lot of money. I didn't mention it in the first post, but before I found the small dealer, I went to a dealer in a large town. That stud wanted $199 just to hook the scanner to the truck!

Small town dealers are....dare I say it...interested in keeping customers happy.

Also, Chris and Kirk at Vector often have contacts at dealers in several areas. They gave me the name of a Cadillac dealer that could do the relearn - Chris even called the Caddy guy to tell him I was coming. But I tried the dumba** approach first, and was successful.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:01 PM

6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver7923 View Post
I'm glad you guys are finding this useful I hope to provide many more useful write-ups
Since you took the time to create this thread and take pictures, the least I could do is say, Thank you very much!

I was putting off a VM tune simply because I was nervous about removing the ECM/TCM. Your instruction and pictures made all the difference. Like you said, its a simple 3-5 minute job, when you know what to do.

Your taking the time to help other SS owners is what good forums like this one is all about!

Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:27 PM

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Where are the pics? Help needed

I need some assistance and when I read the first post the pics are gone???

Help please!?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSS View Post
I need some assistance and when I read the first post the pics are gone???

Help please!?
Well the pics are not here however I still figured it out. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in