FINALLY Took the LH6 5.3L 6L80 TBRS to the track. - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > The Track

The Track At the Track with your TrailVoy

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:54 PM

2007 Chevy Silverstone TrailBlazer SS AWD & Trailblazer LH6 RS 4WD
SilverStone/Summit White Other 4X4
FINALLY Took the LH6 5.3L 6L80 TBRS to the track.

No wonder no one likes to tune these....there are crazy amounts of torque management parameters in there. First time at the track since the install to tweak the basically factory ECM and TCM tunes.

First run was a "no time" error in the tower:

Second run: [email protected] MPH w/2.373 60ft...Launch at about 1800 RPMs, upshifting before 5000 RPM's

Third run: [email protected] MPH w/2.333 60ft...delayed and sputter in 3-4 upshift due, upshifting at 6050 RPM's

Fourth run: BEST RUN of day [email protected] MPH w/2.374 60ft..reduced TQ Management, 2000 RPM Launch, upshifting at 6200 RPM

Fifth run: [email protected] w/2.579 60ft...4WD launch and run (video 1)

Sixth run: [email protected] w/2.477 60ft...almost all torque management removed, massive one wheel spin out at line. (video 2)

Not what I expected/wanted, but not too bad for a 110,000 mile rental abuse motor, bone stock engine injector/air/spark parameters, factory exhaust w/resonator delete, full tank of gas, open 3.42 gears in differential and 20" wheels 275/45R20.

With tune, better 60ft, and exhaust...it's a low 14's truck.

Video Error

Video Error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Cool!

Yeah, I gather the 5.3 and 6.0 only go like 3/4 throttle in first gear with all the torque management...

Mike
Old 03-05-2011, 08:29 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Red Jewel Tintcoat 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Just curious.... did folding the mirrors in gain you anything?

Old 03-05-2011, 09:19 PM

Yeah that throttle thing made me waste too many runs..the tune was set to trigger WOT setting at 97% TPS...which of course our TB's never achieve.

You'd be amazed how much resistance them big ol' dumbo ears offer. lol
Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 AM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali
Summit White 5.3L V8 2WD
was this run with a tune? cause i ran my 2006 envoy denali with 5.3 and ran a 15.9 literally BONE stock with 20"s and 275's.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:34 AM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonmd View Post
Cool!

Yeah, I gather the 5.3 and 6.0 only go like 3/4 throttle in first gear with all the torque management...

Mike
Maybe the 5.3s, the 6.0 has the throttle opening rate tables maxed out from GM. The TCM limits the power, but not nearly as much as you'd think, its mostly on the upshifts. But alas, a decent tune fixes that and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach palumbo View Post
was this run with a tune? cause i ran my 2006 envoy denali with 5.3 and ran a 15.9 literally BONE stock with 20"s and 275's.
And a 6L80E trans... with some transmission tuning.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
Maybe the 5.3s, the 6.0 has the throttle opening rate tables maxed out from GM. The TCM limits the power, but not nearly as much as you'd think, its mostly on the upshifts. But alas, a decent tune fixes that and more.
I'm sure you've looked at it, being that you've got the tuning software and an SS, but wow... I trounced on an SS at low speed a few times, and was unimpressed; and I watched Big Ed (5.3L Extended with a CAI, tune, and cat-back, with big, heavy wheels) stay next to a couple of stock SSs until maybe 1/2 way through 2nd, last year...

I had thought I was unimpressed with them because of the huge amount of TQ management I had heard they had in 1st and 2nd, but if they don't have any (while in gear, not during the shifts)... well...

Mike
Old 03-28-2011, 11:08 AM

The TM varies from year to year on the SS's. I believe the '06's were the most liberal. Additionally, the 'learning' curve of the transmission plays a significant role in performance. After driving my SS like grandpa for a few months it ran like a dog when I finally tried to jump on it.

Picking on a 5.3L TB/Envoy is risky business as the 5.3L has a range of optional gears and the TM limits are probably rarely reached, so the computer has little reason to interfere. The SS's gearing and power have the computer's stock tune always interfering and therefore pulling back power. So when the 5.3l is still pulling, the SS is in and out of power.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonmd View Post
I'm sure you've looked at it, being that you've got the tuning software and an SS, but wow... I trounced on an SS at low speed a few times, and was unimpressed; and I watched Big Ed (5.3L Extended with a CAI, tune, and cat-back, with big, heavy wheels) stay next to a couple of stock SSs until maybe 1/2 way through 2nd, last year...

I had thought I was unimpressed with them because of the huge amount of TQ management I had heard they had in 1st and 2nd, but if they don't have any (while in gear, not during the shifts)... well...

Mike
Im just saying the throttle opening rates arent limited, there is still transmission TM active but the engine side seems to be wide open.

I can see a tuned 5.3 staying with a stock SS for a bit, the transmission can still be pulling spark on hard downshifts whereas I dont believe the 5.3s are setup that way. Plus the factory settings for TM ramp-out are slow, so timing is pulled then added back gradually. Tuning helps it not intrude as much plus ramp the timing back in faster.

I will say that I havent driven my SS with the stock tune in 15mo, maybe Ill flash it back and see how it feels. I know its gonna shift like crap, I hated the way it shifted when I bought it.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssilveronyxx View Post
The TM varies from year to year on the SS's. I believe the '06's were the most liberal. Additionally, the 'learning' curve of the transmission plays a significant role in performance. After driving my SS like grandpa for a few months it ran like a dog when I finally tried to jump on it.

Picking on a 5.3L TB/Envoy is risky business as the 5.3L has a range of optional gears and the TM limits are probably rarely reached, so the computer has little reason to interfere. The SS's gearing and power have the computer's stock tune always interfering and therefore pulling back power. So when the 5.3l is still pulling, the SS is in and out of power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
Im just saying the throttle opening rates arent limited, there is still transmission TM active but the engine side seems to be wide open.

I can see a tuned 5.3 staying with a stock SS for a bit, the transmission can still be pulling spark on hard downshifts whereas I dont believe the 5.3s are setup that way. Plus the factory settings for TM ramp-out are slow, so timing is pulled then added back gradually. Tuning helps it not intrude as much plus ramp the timing back in faster.

I will say that I havent driven my SS with the stock tune in 15mo, maybe Ill flash it back and see how it feels. I know its gonna shift like crap, I hated the way it shifted when I bought it.
So you guys will have to help me out... All of my schooling on automotive electronic control was based on what was mostly out in 2001-2002 (when I was doing my specialization), so a "PCM"... On the seperately controlled ECM/TCM, what's the deal? It sounds like the TCM says "you're making too much power for this gear/range, stop that" and tells the ECM to pull timing (or I assume, partially close the throttle), even when there is no shifting happening (or rather, not because of a shift)?

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in