Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Better 0-60 time

34K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  tmirb 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Trailblazer ls. My best 0-60 time is 8.3. I
trying to get it under 8. I've heard that if I start 3 instead of D that I will accelerate faster. What do u guys think?

#6 ·
that will work as long as you dont over rev it before kickin it up to drive.....also just try launching at around 1500-2000 rmp instead of from a dead rest.

#8 ·
8.2 seconds?

Do you have Mods? if so what kind, I hit 6.1 seconds w/ my 4.2 the other day. But ya, you can always get an SS. I nosed a Civic SI w/ a turbo, manual, and a fart can. He weighs about 1500 lbs. less. He had to have been pissed. I have most all the mods, tune, cai, exhaust, throttle body spacer, Bilstein/rancho shocks, 1/4 tank of gas, HD rear springs help my launch. I usually brake torque or neutral drop @ 2500 and she gets going.

#9 ·
Do you have Mods? if so what kind, I hit 6.1 seconds w/ my 4.2 the other day. But ya, you can always get an SS. I nosed a Civic SI w/ a turbo, manual, and a fart can. He weighs about 1500 lbs. less. He had to have been pissed. I have most all the mods, tune, cai, exhaust, throttle body spacer, Bilstein/rancho shocks, 1/4 tank of gas, HD rear springs help my launch. I usually brake torque or neutral drop @ 2500 and she gets going.

Wow, neutral drops @ 2500rpms... hope you have a tranny shop nearby.:hopeless

#10 ·
Yes I do, only had to replace it once, @ 106k. The rebuilt one came with a 100k warranty, well worth it. Realistically, I have maybe neutral dropped a couple of times. I realize this is horrid for a transmission. Keep the RPM's low, drop it in gear, and smash the gas. It's not good for it, but once in awhile it's necessary. Side note, I encourage NO ONE to do this. If you do, be smart about it. don't hit the gas more till you fell the clunk. If you are not familiar with a manual trans vehicle, then I would urge against this.

#15 ·
I have a PCMforless tune and a drop in K&N high flow air filter with royal purple in the rearend. Dex 6 in the tranny and an exhaust leak lol but i brake torqued it to about 2200 rpms and mashed it with stop watch in hand! I managed a 6.93 on the stop watch slightly downhill. Normal times are about 7.2-7.5 without brake torquing it and that's on flat ground too! Oh mine also has 219,000 miles on it. :crazy:

#18 · (Edited)
better 0-60, weather permitting

I've noticed that barometric pressure makes the difference on acceleration times, and just power in general. Check your local weather. On days when the barometer is up, the difference is like night and day here in Idaho, which seems to offer extemes in atmopheric pressure levels. Some days, my I6 feels completely gutless, and on other days, wheeeeeee!!!! I completely wasted a BMW sedan in Boise a few weeks ago. That was probably a high-pressure day on the barometer. I know this also affects all of the other cars on the road on the same day, but I've noticed the TB seems to be affected by barometric pressure much more than anything else I've ever owned. This is why it would be nice if someone made a turbo for the Atlas I6 engine.

#19 ·
I've noticed that barometric pressure makes the difference on acceleration times, and just power in general. Check your local weather. On days when the barometer is up, the difference is like night and day here in Idaho, which seems to offer extemes in atmopheric pressure levels. Some days, my I6 feels completely gutless, and on other days, wheeeeeee!!!! I completely wasted a BMW sedan in Boise a few weeks ago. That was probably a high-pressure day on the barometer. I know this also affects all of the other cars on the road on the same day, but I've noticed the TB seems to be affected by barometric pressure much more than anything else I've ever owned. This is why it would be nice if someone made a turbo for the Atlas I6 engine.
thats interesting, because last night i ran two 0-60 runs with my 06 4.2 EXT. both were between 9 and 9.5 seconds. the intersting thing is that a couple nights before, i got 8.7. i live in south louisiana right about even with sea level. for the 8.7 run(s), it was cooler around 50 degrees or so and the air was pretty dry for south LA. for the slower run i just did it was around 75 degrees and VERY HUMID (Louisiana weather changes daily). so even at sea level, air temperature and more importantly humidity make a big difference on our straight sixes:m2:

#21 ·
0-60 time...

My 2004 Trailblazer (4.2 i6) is getting from 0-60 in about 10.5 seconds. I think there must be something really wrong. What do you guys think?

Here's what I know:
It has been very well taken care of, has been to the dealer recently. I had them look at EVERYTHING. Here is what they checked and did to it:
Torque converter fluid changed
Transmission fluid changed
Catalytic converter (2 years old)
Exhaust system (2 years old)
Throttle body (cleaned)
Fuel pressure (checked)
Air filter evaluated
Plugs and wires changed

It was taken in because of a lack of power (especially in the low rpm range) and they told me overall that it was in excellent shape and that there was nothing wrong with it at all. Of course they proceeded in telling me that if I wanted a better performing vehicle that I should purchase a new one (haha)... Expected...

It's so peculiar to me because I see so many people getting times of 7-8 seconds. Something is just not right. Anyone agree? Oh, and to really make it sound strange, I also had it tuned by PCMofNC. Their tune has certainly made my vehicle more driveable (much better shift points and transmission behavior) but the times are about the same. I think my times before the tune were somewhere in the 11-12 second range. Anyways, moving on, if anyone wants to have a look at a log that I captured while doing a 0-60 pull I can certainly find a way to post it.

I would really appreciate any help or pointers to get me looking in the right direction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.