Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Interior Trim painted.. Best $25.00 Spent

20K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  M23 
#1 ·
Bought Some Duplicolor Vinyl and Dash paint - Great stuff took 3 cans to paint all panels with 3 coats. Got it From Summitracing for $7.49 a can.

See less See more
#17 ·
This post just made my day. One of those oil air fresheners leaked on my dash trim yesterday and ate up the plastic.......I was wondering how I was going to fix it. Now I know!!!! :tiphat

The dealer wants $240 for just the instrument panel trim piece. Seems like robbery to me for a piece of plastic.:bonk:

If anyone happens to have the instrument panel dash trim lying around please let me know, I would be happy to take it off your hands.:thx

#24 ·
While I haven't tried it on vehicle trim, there are two products that should stand up to the heat:
Lauer Duracoat and Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II. They are epoxy-based paints intended to paint firearms.

Duracoat comes in a frillion colors and requires an airbrush while Aluma-Hyde II is available in a rattle can or as a liquid. It's not the cheapest stuff out there, but IMHO, it's way better than most spray paints.

I have painted plastic parts with Aluma-Hyde II and it works very well. Both products are intended to cure by air, but the curing process can be accelerated by baking them in a oven for 5 hours at 200 degrees.

Epoxy is pretty tough stuff as far as paints go and is very solvent resistant.

In my experience using it on plastic and metal firearm parts that get hot, it does NOT get sticky the way Krylon can.

Pro tip: Thoroughly degrease all parts to be painted. Since these are plastic parts, I'd avoid brake cleaner and acetone. I'd start with a strong soap like Simple Green and finish with isopropyl alcohol.

Pro tip: You must left this stuff cure. You can gingerly handle it in a few hours, but curing takes anywhere from 1-4 weeks, depending on conditions. Failing to let it cure will result in smushed paint.

#25 ·
Good call, Strat. Where's a good less-expensive place to get duracoat? Been looking a few places online but haven't found a good supplier.

Justblazin, That looks really good in your truck! Personally I'd like gloss black in an ebony interior on a black truck, but the contrast is still very nice! 5 Stars from me!

Swat

#26 · (Edited)
I'd recommend getting it from the manufacturer, Lauer Weaponry, or Brownell's or Midway. All three are reputable dealers. It's not cheap though. Be prepared to be overwhelmed with color choices.

Pay a visit to AR15.com's Refinishing forum here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=19

There's a learning curve with DuraCoat and those guys should be able to help you.

If you can get away with Aluma-Hyde's color offerings, it's generally a simpler way to go: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1117/Product/ALUMA_HYDE_reg__II

I cannot stress enough how important it is to let the stuff cure, regardless of which one you use. You can usually touch it gently with 48 hours, but it is still very soft. If you smudge it or dent it, it's a PITA to get off. Epoxy remover will take it off, but you may damage the item underneath. Degrease *thoroughly* several times before applying the paint.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but poor prep and smudging are the two most common problems with this stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.