I stayed up late last night working on this before my skiing trip this weekend.
I figured this was post-worthy.
The bar itself is all aluminum, with a flat black paint. I did not want to deal with rusting, so aluminum seemed to make sense.
I mounted it so that it is easily removable. I made a plate that fits perfectly in the roof rack slot. Then I JB Welded a nut to the back side. It works like a charm. It was also very simple:
I ran the wiring through the rear door. This made sense to me, since I did not want to drill through the roof yet (I've only had the truck for about 20 days).
I also wanted the rack to be easily removable. To do this, I ran the wiring to the inside top of the rear door. Then a simple plug comes out of the molding over the b pillar. This is where the lights plug in.
You may recognize the lights as the same as the Roadie's. They are made by blazer, marketed as tractor lights. They are cheap lights but they have a good mounting system (it swivels all over the place). I did not want to spend a ton of money on this, so they were perfect for me. (plus I can update the bulbs later if I need to).
A view from the rear:
And of course, a comparison beam shot. The great thing is that I can make them point anywhere I want, so this beam pattern is not set in stone.
The overall cost was quite low. I spent maybe $100 on the entire setup. This includes lights, switches, relays, metal, bolts, sweat, & tears.
Let me know what you all think.