Green Ridge Expedition - Trail Journal - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > General TrailVoy Discussion > Pictures and Videos

Pictures and Videos Post/Request TRAILVOY RELATED pictures and videos for discussion here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:40 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Offroad Edition 4.2L I6 4X4
Green Ridge Expedition - Trail Journal

(I know this is 'Pictures and Video' subforum material, but the offroad subforum is the target audience and it applies well)

The following was written during the trip, on the laptop, and edited into this post. I will be working on compiling the video, and putting it up tomorrow sometime.
------------------------------------------------------

I had been planning on this trip since I had moved to MD, in late June. Last month, I purchased all sorts of recovery gear (instead of on a lift, you gota start with the ABCs). Sadly, the forecast was looking somewhat wet. About an inch of rain had fallen on the area in the past 24 hours, but I decided to go anyways.

I hope this won’t be a problem for the factory tires. If it is, I guess I can always hand-winch out with the hi-lift. Lets hope I don't need to.

The driver seat has two GPS systems. The small one is a Dell Axim x30. This handles the road driving. It has a great GPS road tracking through the use of OnCourse Navigator. The GPS works via Bluetooth, which is sitting on the dash. The second system is my Dell Dattitude D630. I use Google Earth to map out routes and overlay maps I find into the system. It has topographical data built in and 2 GB cache. It works fairly well when paired up to the Bluetooth GPS system, a few bugs still.

My trunk houses the recovery and camping gear. I called out most things in the above picture. Fairly self explanatory.

9:36 am - Packed up, and hitting the road. The weather was not looking too good, forcasts for Green Ridge said 70% chance of rain. I headed off on I-70 from Baltimore.

10:12 - I hit traffic…. my hour and 40 minute drive was looking like it may be longer than planned.

11:34
- Still in traffic. This is an awful way to start a long day.

11:50 - An end is in sight. Seems a truck decided to explode in the middle of the road. Not a smart move on his part. Lets not let this setback ruin the day.

12:00 - Moving again.

12:45 - I began the journey into the woods from exit 56 off of I-68. This is the town of Flintstone, MD.

I gassed up and headed towards Old Williams Rd. This is one of the smaller entrances into the forest and according to a few trail reports I have read, its a fun road.

12:55 - Turns out Old Williams is closed for some reason. So I had to head to an alternate entrance into the forest. So, back onto the interstate; lets try the next exit.

1:15 - Arrived at the trailhead. Proceeding down Fifteen mile creek road.

1:37 - Turning off of Fifteen Mile creek road and on to Stafford Rd. This road is what the forest refers to as its Offroad Vehicle Trail.

2:35 - I took some great video during the last sections of the trail. I hope to make a video compilation of it all. I've come across a few other ORVs so far. Probably 3 ATVs, 2 Dirtbikes, 1 Old Jeep. They were all coming in the opposite direction. Being the Tread Lightlyer that I am, I let them all pass with a smile and a wave.

The view up here is amazing.

3:05 - Stop for Lunch.

So far the trail has been great. I have been averaging about 5 mph for the trip so far. About 9 mpg. I stopped at a designated camping site for grilling. Looks well maintained. The only bad comment is about the bugs. They're out in full force. Whats for lunch you ask? Brats and veggie meledy!

Note to self: Bring plate, silverware and bug spray next time.

3:34 - Passed under some power lines. Great photo Op!

Looking East

Looking West

3:38 - Crossed the midpoint of the trail. Not many ATVs go past this point, so I am venturing into not very traveled territory.

4:02 - ROCKS! I was not expecting rocks this rough during this trip. Some of the slams onto the frame made me grit my teeth. There were some HARD hits too. But press on I did. Sadly, for the biggest places, I completely forgot to take video or photos, I was in the zone.

4:28 - Begin descending from the mountain. Trail has gotten less rocky. Gotten some good video!

4:40 - Mileage: 21.6 Leaving the ORV route. Heading to another area that looked interesting.

4:48 - Turn left onto Old Town. This is where I get back onto gravel roads.
4:50 - Turn Right onto Malcolm Rd. Back on dirt.
5:00 - Turn Right onto unidentified road towards tunnel hill

5:07 - Hearing thunder. Winds picking up. The storm sounds as if it is to the east. Maybe it won’t hit me.

5:09 - Must turn around. Reached sign that states “Patomac bend wildlands, vehicles are prohibited in wildlands.

5:35 - Forgot to record where I turned. I’m turning left on Mertens Rd now.

5:42 - Crossed back over the midpoint of the ORV route. This time on the bisecting road.

5:51 - Stopped at a neat campsite for a photo op.

5:54 - GPS crapped out. No more data logging for some reason. Oh well. I got most of it.

6:00 - Turned Left onto Green Ridge Road, which bisects the forest.

6:06 - Photo op at the ‘log roll hill’ Turned around.

6:14 - Turned left onto Jacobs Road.

6:34 - Turned right onto Twigg Rd. This road is really rutted out. I had to put my left wheels into the treeline a few times to keep from getting high-centered on the center rut.

6:50 - Turn Right onto Black Twigg Road. This should lead back to the main road. Time to start heading home…

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

... IF
you think you're ready...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 02:00 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Ok guys,

The video should be working now.

(click the picture)

I hope yall enjoy watching it as much as I did making it.

<<link fixed, thanks Karo>>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

... IF
Old 08-03-2008, 10:01 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Hey guys. I asked Fish to double post this. I know alot of you don't stray into the off-road section, but I wanted to share it with you all too.

Enjoy!

... IF

Old 08-08-2008, 04:20 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
AWESOME!!!!

Looks like you had a great time. I love off roading to get to those hard to reach crash scenes. (Once did better than our depts Durango )

Nice truck too
Old 08-17-2008, 07:23 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Great video.

Good to see some people still consider'm trucks!

The end crack'd me up.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

It was definitely good incentive to spend a couple grand on the suspension.

... IF
Old 08-26-2008, 09:03 PM

I must say that seeing a few lifted and modified Trailblazers at the All Truck Nationals early this month got me interested in seeing one off-road. Though I wouldn't actually call what your doing off-roading its some darned nice two tracking and greenlane. I'm pretty impressed with your videos here and on youtube as well as the report overall. Just when I almost passed the TB off as just another glorified station wagon with an "4WD" feature. You guys at the Trailvoy site seem to have corrected my view. I like the two track trails that aren't extremely harsh because that means a few things 1: You can drive a daily driven rig to your trail head and run the trail with it. 2: I can let the wife drive and get used to basic trail driving,pedal control and steering. Awesome pictures though.

Jwill
Old 09-04-2008, 10:24 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWILL View Post
I must say that seeing a few lifted and modified Trailblazers at the All Truck Nationals early this month got me interested in seeing one off-road. Though I wouldn't actually call what your doing off-roading its some darned nice two tracking and greenlane. I'm pretty impressed with your videos here and on youtube as well as the report overall. Just when I almost passed the TB off as just another glorified station wagon with an "4WD" feature. You guys at the Trailvoy site seem to have corrected my view. I like the two track trails that aren't extremely harsh because that means a few things 1: You can drive a daily driven rig to your trail head and run the trail with it. 2: I can let the wife drive and get used to basic trail driving,pedal control and steering. Awesome pictures though.

Jwill
Yeah, what I was doing was definitely not serious off roading. Heck, I was still in street shoes with stock legs.

The Green Ridge trail was certainly a good way to get a feel for a stock truck. I had a few clearance issues on some rocks, but never got hung up completely, which was nice.

I want to go back once I have the lift and tires installed and do the entire circuit (I did half of the ORV trail). I believe the lower half is less rocky, but more rutted, requiring a little more skill (and clearance).

... IF
Old 10-09-2008, 05:36 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Awesome!!! Enjoyed the pics and video!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in