Motor Mount Replacement - Page 6 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romero2408 View Post
Hello
(the access hole I drilled was maybe 3/8 of an inch to allow me to get my 3/8 drive extension and socket over the bolt ) the plate I drilled the hole was under the computer / circuit box
Sunday I Prepped the Trailblazer.
Changed oil, filter, checked air filter, cleaned throttle body, new wipers, and loosened the nuts...so its ready to go in a few days
I also drilled a hole in the plate-- so I can have direct access to the nut from above....

Mounts arrive THU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 04:30 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
OK. For those with 4x4 this process is a little more involved. Just did mine yesterday on the 05 XL and you can not raise the engine high enough to get either side out without removing the engine side motor mount bracket. The inner CV joint hits the frame before enough clearance is achieved regardless of how tight you leave the opposite side mount. Here is what I did:

Remove splash shield
Remove left and right side lower mount nuts.
Remove air cleaner and intake pipe.
Remove right upper mount nut.
Remove ECM and bracket.
Remove left upper mount nut.
Jack engine up until fan hits shroud.
Remove 2 lower and one upper bolt from the engine side mounts. (you can access three of these from the wheel well with a LONG extension and a 15mm universal socket. The other one will have to be managed from the top).
Loosen the second upper bolt but do not remove (this makes it easier to reattach the bracket)
Manipulate the old mounts out.
Install the new mounts paying attention to the index pin and hole in the lower mount bracket.
Reinstall bolts into upper brackets and tighten.
Lower engine.
Install upper mount nuts.
Install ECM and bracket paying attention to the order of the connectors.
Install air cleaner and intake tube.
Install splash shield.

Allow for at least 3 hours or so. I took 4 hours but had to devise a method that didn't require removal of the axle shafts.

Worthwhile project- as others have said drives like new now.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 PM

2004 chevy trailblazer
forest green 4.2L I6 2WD
Followed all the instructions in this thread. Four things I found mandatory are
1. drilling the hole in the plate above the driver's side mount after removing computer
2. grinding down the top stud on the driver's side replacement mount
3. remove fan from clutch to help engine movement
4. remove throttle body

I have a 2wd and it was still very trying to get enough room to remove and replace the driver's side mount because of the intake plenum hitting the firewall area. Passenger side was a piece of cake. Still worth a DIY, as it always is.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:46 AM

2005 Isuzu Ascender
Sandstone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Anyone know the torque, lb-ft, to tighten the nuts on the mounts?

Do I need to add blue loctite on the threads?
Old 10-26-2013, 12:23 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Torque on engine mount nuts is 52lb-ft (70N-m).
Thread locker compound is not required.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:54 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
I think this mount is broken.

2006 Trailblazer LT. I couldn't believe how torn up this mount was. Motor nearly jumped out of the truck when I goosed it. Loosened up the fan shroud. That helped but taking the bar off in the top back, (close to the windshield wipers), was what gave me clearance for some of the electronics that were in a bind.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:54 AM

2005 Isuzu Ascender
Sandstone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Thanks mmoniz and ibidu1 for your helpful advice and step by steps! Anyone who is going to do this job, just follow their posts above.

I found that it was absolutely necessary to drill the hole in the bracket and cut off the extra metal post on the top of the new mount to have enough clearance to get it in since the new mount was longer/uncompressed.

No more vibration!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:06 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Sandalwood Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I just did the install today. I don't know how you guys did it but I decided to take the bracket off to install the mounts in place. I tried jacking up the engine, but it kept on hitting the radiator pipe and I didn't want to crack it. I never managed to get enough clearance even while grinding down the top of the mount (it was almost there but never made it). Maybe I didn't jack it up far enough. It took me about 4.5 hours for everything.

Another note, I'm not sure how you guys do this without an impact gun. I fortunately had my snap on impact and it saved me a day of frustration trying to figure out how to turn a ratchet in that tight space.

The help on this thread made a lot of difference for me. The advice was great and you won't really know which approach is better until you get into the job and decide what is better.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:08 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, all of the various experiences helped me get my mounts installed yesterday. I used genuine GM mounts, ordered on Amazon for $147 total. Took me 10 hours to get them installed on my 2004 TB 4x4, which is much more than most. In my defense, it included 2 trips to the store to buy more 1/2" socket attachments.

I have a tendency to over think issues, and the design of this vehicle had me baffled more often than not. I too had to drill through the ECU mounting plate, which is maddening to me. While I understand that plate is designed to deflect heat around the ECU, does it really need to be bolted to the block in a way that is not accessible? And now that the I've drilled through it (3/4" diameter) am I exposing the ECU to more heat? I cannot for the life of me figure out how a trained mechanic would have tackled this. I needed to lossen the motor mount bracket (upper - attached the block) on both the driver and passenger sides, accessing through the wheel wells with long extensions (because the CV axle hit the frame and the studs on the old mount were so long). Tried to loosen the lower bracket, no help because the coil springs prevented the bolts from backing out far enough. Of course I had to cut the top off of the new mounts as many others have mentioned, I used a hacksaw (they are not hardened steel) so that went well.

After all is said and done, I'm happy to have tackled this - the vibration is completely gone. It was rough, no doubt about it, but the benefit (beyond saving hundreds of dollars) is that I learn more about the vehicle that I trust to carry my family, and about myself and how I solve problems / manage stress!

Old 02-25-2014, 12:24 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Sandalwood Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champine View Post
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, all of the various experiences helped me get my mounts installed yesterday. I used genuine GM mounts, ordered on Amazon for $147 total. Took me 10 hours to get them installed on my 2004 TB 4x4, which is much more than most. In my defense, it included 2 trips to the store to buy more 1/2" socket attachments.

I have a tendency to over think issues, and the design of this vehicle had me baffled more often than not. I too had to drill through the ECU mounting plate, which is maddening to me. While I understand that plate is designed to deflect heat around the ECU, does it really need to be bolted to the block in a way that is not accessible? And now that the I've drilled through it (3/4" diameter) am I exposing the ECU to more heat? I cannot for the life of me figure out how a trained mechanic would have tackled this. I needed to lossen the motor mount bracket (upper - attached the block) on both the driver and passenger sides, accessing through the wheel wells with long extensions (because the CV axle hit the frame and the studs on the old mount were so long). Tried to loosen the lower bracket, no help because the coil springs prevented the bolts from backing out far enough. Of course I had to cut the top off of the new mounts as many others have mentioned, I used a hacksaw (they are not hardened steel) so that went well.

After all is said and done, I'm happy to have tackled this - the vibration is completely gone. It was rough, no doubt about it, but the benefit (beyond saving hundreds of dollars) is that I learn more about the vehicle that I trust to carry my family, and about myself and how I solve problems / manage stress!

I was able to get the top mount nut off without having to drill a hole in the ECU plate by using a deep socket, a universal joint, extension and impact gun. After I was able to loosen the top nut, I had to use a ratchet to take the rest of the nut off. I don't see why it was designed this way. I had to remove the entire mount bracket because I could not jack the engine high enough to get clearance. but the good news is that the mounts were replaced at 160k so with any luck, this will be the last time I mess with motor mounts on this Envoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in